Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Oral Candidiasis

Last week the roof of my mouth was extremely sore and red and my tongue was coated white. I called my GP, who is treating me for BMS, and without seeing me he called in a prescription for Mycelex. This turns out to be an antifungal lozenge used to treat oral candidiasis (an oral yeast infection), which is listed as one of the causes of BMS. Interestingly, my regular dentist, oral surgeon and oral pathologist all said that I did not have any signs of oral candidiasis. I think I did, though, but it wasn't apparent at the times I saw them. After taking the Mycelex for 5 days (the prescribed length of time), the roof of my mouth improved drastically and the white coating on my tongue went away. The burning mouth symptoms don't seem affected, however.

I have a followup visit with my doctor on Monday and intend to ask him if he thinks continuation of the Mycelex would help my BMS. I don't know if taking it for an extended length of time is advisable, though.

I have also started taking acidopholous, even though what I've read seems to indicate that it's not really effective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home