Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Oral Surgery

Friday I had a second oral surgery, to implant the titanium post that my permanent tooth will be attached to. The surgery didn't seem as bad as the extraction surgery; it hasn't hurt as much and I stopped taking my prescription painkiller, Darvocet, on Saturday and just took over-the-counter painkiller instead. I went back to work today and was a little tired by about 2:00 p.m., but not like last time.

I went to my GP yesterday and told him I couldn't see any effect from the Cymbalta. He put me back on nortriptylene and prescribed neurontin, which is similar to the Lyrica I was taking previously. His nurse practitioner suggested I mix Lydocaine with Mylanta and swish it in my mouth as a topical painkiller. Bottom line, as I see it: they don't know what to do.

The doctor also told me I shouldn't continue taking Amoxycillin (antibiotic), which I started Thursday due to the surgery (to prevent possible infection), since it can cause oral candidiasis. I called my oral surgeon and he prescribed a different antibiotic. The warnings and side effects of the second one sounded so scary that I called him back today and told his assistant that I didn't want to take it, and he said I could stop taking anything as long as I didn't have any sign of infection.

I read somewhere (the Mayo Clininc's website?) that treatment of BMS can involve a team of doctors and dentists. I wish somebody was coordinating my team.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Karen Tobin and i would like to show you my personal experience with Neurontin.

I have taken for 4 months. I am 54 years old. Was taking 1800 mg per day for pain, numbness and scalp soreness. It helped immensely and right now am weaning off of it taking 300mg two times daily with no noticeable side effects.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Drowsiness and dizziness.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Karen Tobin

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home