Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Monday, January 01, 2007

Slight Improvement, Aloe Vera, etc.

I've been too busy with the holidays to post anything lately, but in the past couple of weeks I have experienced a slight improvement in my symptoms. I've been taking Nortriptyline for about 6 weeks. I also took Neurontin for 3 weeks, but it, or the combination of it and Nortriptyline, made me dizzy. Not bad, when I was driving or working or anything, but just when I'd stoop over or get up from kneeling on the floor or something. I'm supposed to go back to the doctor on Wednesday, but I may cancel my appointment and just keep taking the Nortriptyline for a while longer and see if there is any more improvement. It's not like my doctor knows what's going to work or anything.
I'm still taking acidopholus, too, and sometimes aloe vera gel caps, although that tends to cause diarrhea so I don't want to take it too often. I tried aloe vera juice but thought it was pretty disgusting. It didn't feel good on my mouth, either.
Anyway, I've noticed a couple of tiny incremental improvements over the past couple of weeks. I don't know if the medicine is working, I'm learning to manage it better, or it's getting better by itself--perhaps a combination. But I've been able to eat some mild Italian sausage on pizza, and even a tamale at a potluck lunch. I was thrilled to be able to eat both. My mouth seems to be a little less bothered by texture, as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home