Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Philosophizing

I read a newspaper article recently about a teenage girl in Haiti who had just had a series of surgeries to remove a 16-pound growth from her face. There was a picture of her before the surgery, and her face was grotesquely distorted. Her throat and nasal passages were partially blocked by the growth. In order to eat she had to lay her head down on the table and shove mashed plantains down her throat. I thought, "I really don't have it so bad--I should stop feeling sorry for myself." I may not be able to eat everything I want, but I can eat in a normal manner and there's nothing wrong with my appearance.

(The girl was fortunate that a humanitarian group found out about her and flew her to Miami for the operations. Doctors in Haiti, a poor country, did not have the facilities to treat her.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home