Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Oral Hygiene

I had my teeth cleaned last week, the first time since I developed BMS. I was quite apprehensive about it since my mouth is now so sensitive. So they gave me a rinse of lydocaine and something that tasted like Juicy Fruit gum, but I couldn't tell that it made any difference. The cleaning was somewhat painful and quite unpleasant and my mouth felt a little worse for a couple of days, but now it seems back to normal. I had quite a bit of tartar and plaque, and my dentist told me I need to start brushing better. I had been brushing very gingerly because of the sensitivity. However, I have started brushing harder and it's not too bad.

I use an extra-soft Oral-B toothbrush and Biotene Original Mint Flavor toothpaste. Biotene does not have the foaming agent that almost all other toothpastes use, and is therefore much milder. It's also kind of weird because it doesn't foam; it just kind of dribbles out of your mouth. I used some Colgate recently in a pinch and -- ouch! I was amazed at how much stronger it seemed. I get Biotene at Walgreen's and have also seen it at Albertson's and HEB grocery stores here in Austin. I also use their mouthwash. It seems kind of strong so I dilute it half-and-half with water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home