Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Saturday, January 27, 2007

What I Eat

Coming up with interesting, varied foods is more of a challenge now that I have the limitations of BMS. Sometimes I just have to tell myself that it's not going to taste as good as what I would like. Here's a rundown of foods I usually eat.

Breakfast - Total cereal or oatmeal, banana, peaches, milk, yoghurt, soft toast (heated in the toaster oven until the butter melts). On weekends when I have more time to cook, I eat fried, soft-boiled or scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, toast & fruit, and sometimes bacon, not cooked too crisply, or mild sausage. This is pretty much the same as what I was eating before, but I don't eat my husband's wonderful breakfast tacos (which involve homemade chorizo and lots of peppers) any more.

Lunch - tuna, hard-boiled eggs (sometimes made into salad), cottage cheese or various kinds of ripened cheeses (Brie & Cambozolo being my favorites), bread, cream cheese or melted cheese sandwiches, pear or applesauce. For convenience I sometimes have canned soup, but many have a lot of additives and preservatives so I don't do that too often. Also an occasional frozen dinner; I like Stouffer's Swedish meatballs - heartier and more filling than many frozen meals--lots of meatballs, and very tasty. Sometimes leftovers from dinner, but if there are enough we save them for another dinner. I've started eating turkey & cheese sandwiches again (my old staple)--I've found that I can eat a little tomato on sandwiches or in salad, although I avoid concentrated tomato sauces.

Dinner - We eat a lot of chicken (roasted, baked, in soup, chicken & dumplings, etc.) and broiled salmon, also steak, pork chops, hamburgers. My husband likes to grill. Black or pinto beans cooked with leftover chicken or pork, served with brown rice. I make a nice pasta dish with tomatoes, basil and Muenster cheese--I was afraid of the tomatoes for a while, but discovered that I can eat them in this dish. I'll post the recipe later. Vegetables are OK, as is salad as long as I don't use vinaigrette dressing. Potatoes, rice and pasta are staples of my diet. I'm really craving Mexican food; I might have to hurt myself soon. I can eat pizza--our favorite has a thick, fresh-tasting tomato sauce--but I pick off some of the sauce and avoid pepperoni altogether.

Snacks - I like sweets, so that's mostly what I snack on. I'm now able to eat Pepperidge Farm Milano Double Chocolate cookies, which seemed too hard and crumbly for a while, as well as some dark chocolate/chocolate chunk cookies with nuts which Central Market sells. For the latter, I pick out the big chunks of nuts and the cookies carefully, in very small bites, to keep from hurting myself on the smaller bits. Ice cream is another of my favorite snacks; it actually feels good and soothing.

Drinks - Pretty much just water and milk. Coffee and tea, even chamomile, which was the mildest tea I could find, seem to make my mouth feel dry and rough for a day or two. Once in a while when we go out I'll have a Bailey's & coffee with whipped cream. That doesn't feel bad; I guess the cream and the Bailey's dilute the coffee enough. I used to drink my coffee black and very hot; I miss that a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home