Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Slight Improvement

I have noticed a slight improvement in my mouth lately. Friday night we went to a barbecue restaurant and I ate all the beans without even thinking about it. Later I remembered that they put a little jalapeno in the beans. It didn't hurt at all!

Last month we went to New Mexico and ate some New Mexico red chile enchiladas in Taos. I thought they seemed a little hot, but not painful. We bought some dried, powdered red chile powder (mild/medium) and I tried making enchiladas using that. (We got the recipe at the restaurant.) It really seemed mild. I think we still have some of the hotter chile powder from the last time we went to NM; I'm going to try using a little of that next time.

Maybe eventually this will fade away and I will be able to eat hot peppers again!

4 Comments:

Blogger BozoJB said...

Hello,

I have been searching everywhere for a definitive solution to my problem which has very similar symptoms. Burning mouth, white tongue, allergy symptoms and IBS in my case.
The IBS is being controlled with Nexium and 2 capsules of Metamucil. The allergies are being helped with the occasional antihistamines (which i try to avoid if possible) and with the nasal spray Nasonex for my sinus problems.
I've been able to cope with the allergies and IBS, but the white tongue and burning sensation is driving me up the wall. On top of that i have bad breath. I would say out of 7 days, perhaps in 2 of those days i get some relief.
I did notice that when my stress level is up, the symptoms worsened.

I sympathize with all of you and wish you all a fast cure.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Angela Winston said...

Did you see my post of Nov. 18, 2006 about oral candidiasis? Mycelex cleared up my white tongue and the worst of the pain. (It hurt to drink water while that was going on.)

I've been having some GI problems for the past year--bloating, gas, constipation. Has anyone told you that your IBS is related to burning mouth?

What does Nexium do?

Good luck to you,
Angela

3:35 PM  
Blogger BozoJB said...

Hi Angela,
Thanks for the reply.

Nexium is supposed to control the amount of acid produced. I'm only on the min. dosage of 20mg.

I've had IBS for the past 6-7 years, whereas the buring mouth started about 14 months ago.

Isn't the symptom for Candidiasis more of a white glossy and/or white spots. My tongue is white and furry like.

I will look into the Mycelex.

Thanks again.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Angela Winston said...

I tried Prilosec, which is also supposed to reduce the amount of acid produced, if I recall correctly. But it didn't help. I'll look into Nexium. I've had GI distress for about 1-1/2 years and BMS for 2-1/2 years.

I don't remember whether my tongue was glossy or furry, but it was coated (no spots). The Mycelex worked, though; that's all I cared about!

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home