Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Folic Acid

Kate Nelson alerted me to a discussion in which folic acid was mentioned as eliminating someone's Burning Mouth Syndrome symptoms after 3 weeks:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=16195

In a quick Web search, I learned that folic acid is a B vitamin which helps prevent birth defects. The CDC recommends taking no more than 1,000 milligrams per day but says there are no known risks.

My dentist recommended I take Vitamin B last summer, but he didn't specifically mention folic acid. I took Vit. B for a while, but maybe didn't take enough, or long enough, or the right kind. The Mayo Clinic's website also mentions folic acid as one of the vitamin deficencies BMS sufferers sometimes have. So I think I will try it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home