Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Alpha Lipoic Acid

I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid, a nutritional supplement (antioxidant) about 2 weeks ago. I found a study on the Internet showing that it helped a significant percentage of people with Burning Mouth Syndrome: http://www.life-enhancement.com/article_template.asp?ID=726 This website appears to be selling lipoic acid but it cites an apparently legitimate scientific study. I couldn't get to the actual study without subscribing to the scientific journal in which it appeared, but my husband, who is a scientist, said it looked like the study was conducted properly and the results were significant. The same scientists did a later study (which I can't find now, which showed that it didn't help people who had been taking antidepressants (which I am taking).

I'm taking 200 milligram 3 times per day, with meals. My mouth seems to be getting a little better, although I think it was getting a little better anyway. I am going to continue taking it for 2 months and see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home