Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Monday, February 19, 2007

Recipe - Butternut Squash Soup

3 lb. butternut squash
5-6 cups chicken broth (like Knorr Chicken Bouillon)
3 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream

Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Place squash flesh side down with ¼ inch water in large baking dish (water keeps the flesh tender and moist). Bake at 350° for approximately 1¾ –2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.

Scoop flesh into blender with spoon. Discard skin. Add salt and nutmeg. (Note: It is easier to do half of the squash at a time.) Add 2 cups broth to blender. Blend until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add more broth until smooth and creamy. Empty blender into stockpot. Repeat with other half of the squash.

Heat on low to barely simmer. Add butter after ½ hour.

Once thoroughly heated, taste and correct seasoning. Prior to serving, add cream and warm. (Do not boil.)


Note: Soup can be frozen after blending squash, chicken broth and spices. After thawing, heat, add butter and cream, and continue heating until hot but not boiling.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela. This recipe is very interesting & creative. There's so much that I no longer feel like eating, so I should be looking into other ideas such as this. Questions... are your BMS symptoms much worse later in the day than earlier? Do some foods set off the burning pain more than others? If yes, then what do you do to calm those sypmtoms? Kate

10:29 AM  
Blogger Angela Winston said...

My symptoms are usually somewhat worse late in the day. Yes, some foods and drinks set off the burning more than others, such as tomatoes, oranges, coffee, etc.--acidic things. So I mostly avoid them. I have been able to eat tomatoes in a sandwich or salad but am staying away from things with a lot of condensed tomato sauce, like spaghetti sauce. If I break down and have a cup of coffee I dilute it with milk or water and even then notice that my mouth feels worse after I drink it. Since my mouth is getting a little better overall, I bought an orange the other day. I haven't tried eating it yet, but will post the results when I do.

Do you have any lidocaine? You can mix that with water or with Maalox (!) and rinse to deaden your mouth for a little while. I bet your dentist would prescribe some for you. (See my Tips post from earlier this month.)

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home