Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tips

I've found that it helps to brush my teeth, or even just rinse with mouthwash, using Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash, immediately after I eat. I don't know why, I guess it restores the balance of acid/alkaline, or replaces enzymes, or something. (Obviously, I'm not a scientist.)

The nurse practitioner at my doctor's office suggested that I try mixing a half-teaspoon of Lydocaine with a teaspoon of Maalox and rinsing my mouth with that to alleviate pain. She said I could even swallow it if I wanted to (ugh!), or mix the Lydocaine with water. I've tried it a couple of times and it helps, but I haven't needed to use it much, thank goodness. When I had candidiasis I was applying Lydocaine to the roof of my mouth with a cotton swab.

I've also found that I feel the need to drink water almost constantly. My mouth seems so dry otherwise. One day I stopped at a store on the way home from work (which isn't very far) and tried to ask a question of a clerk. I couldn't get anything out; I was just making croaking sounds! Now I keep a bottle of water in the car and sip from it before I go in anyplace, or take it with me if I'm going to be more than a couple of minutes.

This is affecting my ability to sing, also. I don't it's affected my voice any, but sometimes I can hardly make it through a 3-minute song without my voice cracking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home