Burning Mouth Syndrome

I have created this blog as a forum for exchanging comments, information and resources for people suffering from Burning Mouth Syndrome. If anyone has received help for this condition, I would like to hear about it. And I'd like to start sharing recipes that those of us with BMS can eat -- soft, mild foods that taste good!

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Oranges & Barbecue

Friday night we went to a barbecue restaurant. I already knew I could eat the baby back ribs, but this time I was also able to eat a little of the sauce, which seemed too spicy a few months ago. I also ate a few bites of the beans, which are cooked with jalapenos. They seemed pretty hot but I ate a little with no ill effect. It didn't seem like a good idea to eat a lot, though.

This morning I ate an orange, and that didn't hurt either. My mouth was already stinging a little but the orange didn't make it feel any worse. What a delight! That's one of the things I've missed the most: sweet, juicy naval oranges. I don't think I'll be eating them every day, but it's wonderful to know I can have one when I want it.

I can tell my mouth is getting better, in small increments. It's not like I feel a difference every day, but once in a while I'll realize that it's a little better than it had been. And a good bit better than it was at the worst. Some days are better than others, two steps forward and one step back, I guess.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! This is a big step for you and gives me hope for my own improvement. I also recently found that I could eat an orange, so I REALLY understand how you feel. Can you handle fresh pineapple or the tomato sauce for pizza/spaghetti? I've been trying. Still, my favorite is greasy & salty french fries that coat the inside of my mouth! Shame on me. xo Kate

1:56 PM  
Blogger Angela Winston said...

I haven't tried pineapple yet, but I think I'll attempt strawberries next.

Tomato sauce on pizza is OK, but I haven't eaten any spaghetti sauce in a long time. The sauce in a couple of my favorite frozen dinners (Michel Angelo's lasagna and spinach ravioli) is very concentrated, and there's a lot of it, so I haven't tried those yet either. I may try the lasagna sometime soon.

I know what you mean about grease. My mouth feels so dry sometimes that I've even tried eating tiny bits of butter. (It doesn't really help, although it seems like it would) My favorite soothing food is still ice cream.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Acupuncture

Dry mouth is a Kidney Yang deficiency in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
I've been going to acupunture treatments for this amoung other things and it has TOTALLY cured my dry mouth. I can even eat a whole can of tomatoe soup and follow that with a large orange before I start to fell the discomfort.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home